Friday, January 4, 2008

Kapalua - day 1

The longest season in all professional sports just kicked off yesterday with the 1st round at the PGA TOUR's Mercedes-Benz Championship in Kapalua Hawaii. Nick Watney is leading the pack after shooting a 5-under (1 bogey)68 yesterday on the long & treacherous Plantation course. The weather played it's usual havoc and if you've ever had the chance to play this course (I did in '06) the weather is the toughest hazard on that course!

The 18th is a monster 676 downhill par 5 but if the wind is right & the ball's hit flush, you can get a 350 yard drive (that includes a lot of roll for me). I actually got close to the green in 3, chipped on to within 6 feet of the cup then 1 putted for par. I know I didn't get many pars that day & that could very well have been my only one for the day!

It's a tough course when the weathers acting up as it was yesterday resulting in only 10 sub-par rounds. Daniel Chopra trails Watney by 1 while US Open champ Angel Cabrerra, Aaron Baddeley & Jonathan Byrd trail by 2 with 3 under rounds.

No comments: